LVM's Poker Room Pet Peeves

We all have our opinions and gossip about the facts and fiction in poker. Share yours here.

LasVegasMichael
Vegas Guru

LVM's Poker Room Pet Peeves

Postby LasVegasMichael » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:10 am

Recently, I have been posting a series of Poker Room Pet Peeves exclusively on Twitter. I will continue to post them there, usually one or two every day or so.

Since Twitter is limited to 140 characters, it is hard to stimulate discussion there, so I thought I would list my 26 that I have Twittered thus far, and will continue to post them here (and solicit additional ones from the AVP Member audience).

Also, though I never mention specific rooms when I post my per peeves, often you can guess which specific rooms I am referring to. Feel free to call them out here.

Here is the complete Twittered list:

LVM's Poker Room Pet Peeves:

1. Not opening up a new game when the list warrants it.

2. Rooms that allow tournaments to take priority over cash games (special event tournaments excepted).

3. Rooms that will not spread games other than Hold'em.

4. Dealers that only know how to deal Hold'em. You're POKER dealers not HOLD'em dealers!

5. Rooms that will not start a game until list is 10+ names long (i.e. rooms that won't start tables short).

6. Rooms that do not allow cel phone use at the table (especially text/twittering).

7. Poker rooms that do not allow you to buy the button if you miss the BB.

8. Poker rooms that do not use Genesis Bravo management software & tableside comp tracking units.

9. Rooms that have automatic shufflers only in certain tables.

10. Poker rooms that restrict poker players to well drinks only and/or no frozen drinks.

11. Must Move Games (double pet peeve for Continuous Must Move games).

12. Fifty cent pieces used for rake (quadruple pet peeve if QUARTERS are used).

13. Rooms that give out fixed amount paper comps instead of tracking all hours on their players' card.

14. Rooms that close and reopen at specific hours (i.e. rooms with hours of operation).

15. Rooms that allow their dealers to match stacks on all ins instead of counting the stacks down properly.

16. Rooms that still drop a rake when there's no flop (quintuple pet peeve if they drop a jackpot without a flop).

17. Rooms where management is not on the same page (i.e. In identicle situations, two floors would rule differently).

18. Dealers that sit and wait for auto shuffler to finish instead of hand shuffling.

19. Rooms that intentionally hide their rake by dropping multiple chips instead of a single chip, causing extra fills.

20. Poker rooms that do not enforce minimum buy-ins (i.e. rooms that allow short buys).

21. Rooms where employees are ineligible for jackpot drop related promotions.

22. Rooms that are not properly staffed for business levels (i.e. long lists, empty tables, but no available dealers).

23. Rooms that do not bring a bank to the table when opening a new game & instead ask players to buy chips at cashier.

24. Poker rooms that do not have direct phone numbers.

25. Rooms that do not accept call-ins.

26. Poker rooms with gruff/standoffish floor staff that do not welcome or greet customers with a smile.

27. Dealers that square up the muck.

Comments, critiques, sneering remarks?

psand
Royal Flush

Re: LVM's Poker Room Pet Peeves

Postby psand » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:45 am

I had a pet peeve once. But Photoc left the door open and it ran away.

vinnyboombots
AVP XII Mixed Game Champion

Postby vinnyboombots » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Let me add these:

- Rooms that won't let you start an interest list

- Rooms that won't accomodate a private sit and go depsite having 5 or 6 dealers sitting around doing nothing because it is a slow Monday night. A few months ago, we had 7 guys (law school classmates + me) that wanted to play a stud tourney for bragging rights and offered the room to cover the average rake and would take good care of the dealers, $50 each 1/2 hour they dealt, which was well above their average, especially on that night, when 5 or 6 of them were sitting around doing squat. They basically told us to go pound sand. I doubt the dealers sittng there doing nothing would have objected to making a few bucks. We could have dealt it ourselves at a house but didn't want to, for a lot of reasons. I am still upset about that. Were I the poker room manager, I would have the game up and running for my customers in 5 minutes, especially under those circumstances.

- Rooms that have a rule that if you are an alternate in a tourney you can't be at a cash table. A few weeks ago, I got a bunch of crap from the poker room manager because I was sitting at a 4-8 Omaha table waiting to see if I would get in as 14th alternate. I got in next to last, and several alternates were turned away. When they called me, I got up from the cash game and was at my table within 20 seconds. The manager saw me walk over and gave me crap about it. I explained to him that if I didn't get in, and almost didn't, it would have taken me hours to get seat at a cash game and it was not fair if I gave up my seat only to be holding the bag. He told me that if he ever saw me do it again, he would disqualify me from the tourney immediately. I told him I would do it again and it would be up to him to have the guts to disqualify me. He is a new manager and I didn't pull rank on him, although I would have if he tried to dump me because I represent quite a few of the dealers and two of the top managers on their myriad of legal troubles. They are not interested in upsetting me.

I fully agree with the rooms that don't let you call in to get on a list but partially disagree with you on the cell phone thing. As long as the player isn't playing the hand while on the phone, I don't mind cell phone use at the table.

I have never seen a room treat a tourney (outside of an event-type tourney) treat the tourney better than the cash games. Never. Of which room are you speaking?

jjmaximum
Royal Flush

Postby jjmaximum » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:38 pm

It is apparently much harder than it looks to run a good poker room or your list wouldn't have 25+ items on it. LVM, I would think that you would be one of the most sought after customers to become a regular player (a whale, if you will) in any LV room because you are a repeat customer, play a variety of games, are easy to tolerate at the table, willing to gamble and are a complete fish (OK, the last one inserted as a joke) - and this isn't even mentioning the obvious one - your affiliation with AVP. But seriously, in any competitive business, I would hate to have a customer or potential customer with even one legit issue with doing business with my company.

It's kinda weird if you think about it.

LasVegasMichael
Vegas Guru

Postby LasVegasMichael » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Obviously, the biggest drawback to having me as a customer is the fact that your room becomes a fishbowl. Many things that go on are discussed and critiqued.

Having said that, some rooms are much more embracing than others. Leo at Harrah's has been one of the best. He earnestly listens and solicits for feedback. He participates on the forum and has taken the feedback provided on this site to heart and changed things in the room based on feedback received. I have logged nearly 1400 hours at Harrah's due to not only the promotions but due to the sociable nature of the staff.

A staff that warmly welcomes the regulars, remembers them by name, listens and engages in stimulating conversations, rates very highly with me. It is all on a personal nature, but I firmly believe that the more personal service the room provides its guests, the better the room will endure long term vitality.

The list above is a compilation of pet peeves covering over 60 rooms that I have played in and observed. These pet peeves listed are by no means from only one room. However, many of the pet peeves only apply to one room.

Kinx
AVP VII Champion

Postby Kinx » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am

LasVegasMichael wrote:The list above is a compilation of pet peeves covering over 60 rooms that I have played in and observed. These pet peeves listed are by no means from only one room. However, many of the pet peeves only apply to one room.

Yeah, #26 seems kind of obvious. LVM, I know these are your own pet peeves (and interestingly enough I agree with on a majority of them), and I can see this as a starting point for establishing a set of additional criteria for room reviews. What do you think?

Local Rock
Royal Flush

Postby Local Rock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:25 am

LasVegasMichael wrote:5. Rooms that will not start a game until list is 10+ names long (i.e. rooms that won't start tables short).

Comments, critiques, sneering remarks?
Consider this an official sneer from the rabble in the cheap seats of the small stakes limit gallery, but probably only from there.
psand wrote:I had a pet peeve once. But Photoc left the door open and it ran away.
Not to worry. I've taken it in and have been nursing it back to health ever since.
Life is six to five against.
-Damon Runyon

Local Rock
Royal Flush

Postby Local Rock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 am

Local Rock's #27: The nice gal with limited English language skills always working the swing shift desk in a certain very busy twenty-odd+ table room who, when I ask to be put on a list, always enters my name as "List." No matter how I try phrasing it, sure enough there it is:

1. Jesus C.

2. Mary M.

3. Joseph

4. List

5. O. Bama

6. Dewey

7. Hughey

8. Louis

I've given up, and in that poker room simply answer to the name "Mr. List."
Last edited by Local Rock on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is six to five against.
-Damon Runyon

Who Is Ryoto
Two Pair

Postby Who Is Ryoto » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:38 am

Some of these I agree 100 percent, others I think are just being to picky lol

Mirage Poker
Mirage Poker Room Manager

Postby Mirage Poker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 am

Local Rock wrote:Local Rock's #27: The nice gal with limited English language skills always working the swing shift desk in a certain very busy twenty-odd+ table room who, when I ask to be put on a list, always enters my name as "List." No matter how I try phrasing it, sure enough there it is:

1. Jesus C.

2. Mary M.

3. Joseph

4. List

5. O. Bama

6. Dewey

7. Hughey

8. Louis

I've given up, and in that poker room simply answer to the name "Mr. List."

Please tell me that's not the Mirage, LOL - too funny
The Mirage Poker Room now features the Genesis Gaming Bravo Poker System!
Like us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter!

Next

Return to General Poker News, Views and Opinions (Non-Strategy)