How many hands per hour in a live game?

Did the floor make the right decision? Was this player out of line? Discuss floor decisions, poker etiquette and ask general poker strategy questions here.

catdogfan
72offsuit

How many hands per hour in a live game?

Postby catdogfan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Can anyone tell me approximately how many hands are dealt per hour in a live NL Hold'em tournament, 10-handed with a live dealer? I.e., what's considered fast and what's considered slow?
Thanks!

jjmaximum
Royal Flush

Re: How many hands per hour in a live game?

Postby jjmaximum » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 pm

I think the typical dealer/game average is 20-25

catdogfan
72offsuit

Postby catdogfan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Thank you!

mauihaole
Binion's Poker Dealer

Postby mauihaole » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Tournaments often get in more hands per hour than cash games because there are more hands taken down preflop or on the flop. 20-25 sounds right for a live game, however in a tournament its not hard to get out about 30 hands/hr.

teslaaaa
Two Pair

Postby teslaaaa » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 pm

I was told by a luxor dealer that a good dealer can get about 15 hands in a shift, 30 min shifts. so 30ish an hour.

apollo
Quads

Postby apollo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 am

My measure has come from noting how the button goes around in tourneys with 20 minute rounds. Typically at a 10-handed table, early in a tourney, the button makes it one full round and one more player. 33 hands per hour. If the table is fairly experienced, people are paying attention, and no TV table wannabes are practicing their hollywooding, more like 36 and sometimes better. If you have 2 very inexperienced players who are afraid to move until the dealer tells them to, 1 player who won't look at his cards until it's his turn and then needs 10 seconds to decide to fold 72 in a raised pot, 1 player with a hoodie+shades+iPod+cap who has to stare at the table for 10 seconds and give a speech before doing anything every action, and 1 crank who has to call the floor every 4th hand because he wants JRandomTourist's hand declared dead because JRandom said "I'm not sure I can call here", it can plummet to the low 20's and below.

redright88
Straight Flush

Postby redright88 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:22 am

apollo wrote:My measure has come from noting how the button goes around in tourneys with 20 minute rounds. Typically at a 10-handed table, early in a tourney, the button makes it one full round and one more player. 33 hands per hour. If the table is fairly experienced, people are paying attention, and no TV table wannabes are practicing their hollywooding, more like 36 and sometimes better. If you have 2 very inexperienced players who are afraid to move until the dealer tells them to, 1 player who won't look at his cards until it's his turn and then needs 10 seconds to decide to fold 72 in a raised pot, 1 player with a hoodie+shades+iPod+cap who has to stare at the table for 10 seconds and give a speech before doing anything every action, and 1 crank who has to call the floor every 4th hand because he wants JRandomTourist's hand declared dead because JRandom said "I'm not sure I can call here", it can plummet to the low 20's and below.

This pretty much sums up my experience, too.
- Redright88
Follow me at http://www.Twitter.com/Redright_88

Emry
Trips

Postby Emry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:45 am

From most of the live games I have seen, the hands per hour (depending on table obviously) is around 25-30, however if they have an automatic shuffler installed in the table I have been told this sends the average to 35 (at least that's what the dealers I know told me).

Return to Poker Rules, Etiquette and General Strategy Discussion