best 1-2 & 2-5 nl games according to time of day

Planning a trip to the City of Lights? Discuss and ask questions about the best Vegas hotels, dining, entertainment, nightlife and more.

studentofpoker
72offsuit

best 1-2 & 2-5 nl games according to time of day

Postby studentofpoker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:11 am

Hey Everyone,

I am not new to poker, but I need some advice on game selection. I made a recent solo trip to Vegas for MLK weekend and had good profit.
I am going back Valentine's weekend and also April 4-6. I am pretty experienced with game selection, making Venetian, Bellagio, and Bally's my
stomping grounds. I just need more insight on where the absolute best places to play at, at specific times. A couple years ago, I felt like I was
making more profit at the Venetian. I've have been playing there 10pm or later on my recent sessions there. Is that when more local grinders
play at the Venetian? Is the game softer during the day? I am staying at TI for the Valentine's trip, and probably IP for the April trip, also to
probably play in the Deep Stack at Venetian. I am having profit on my past trips, but I'd like my profit to hopefully double or triple. I've been
playing for about 6 years, kept good records online and live, read over 20 books, and watch DVDs of the WSOP and WPT. I am a true student
of the game. I'm ready to take my game to the next level. My bankroll isn't even close for 2-5, but I'm confident that if I have a couple losing
sessions there, I can rebuild quickly at 1-2. So please, if anyone can suggest profitable 1-2 and 2-5 games according to the time of day, I would
really appreciate it.

Clem2754
Royal Flush

Re: best 1-2 & 2-5 nl games according to time of day

Postby Clem2754 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:36 am

I think the 1-2NL game at the Venetian is the toughest at that level. I like the 2-5 NL game at Bellagio and Venetian. I like playing the Venetian 2-5 NL game on the weekend nights (Especially considering TAO is right uo stairs). I think it is a great game at night. I find that the Bellagio doesn't have that big of a difference on the time of the day. It matters what type of table you have. Can't really discuss Bally's all that much but the 1-2 NL game is soft from what I have heard.

IAPETE
Full House

Postby IAPETE » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 am

Clem,

How would you compare the Venetian 1/2 to the Wynn 1/3 now that the Wynn has a max buy-in? I've held my own at the Venetian 1/2 (well, at least I have a net positive result there). I may be staying at the Wynn the 12th -18th of this month (if they drop their prices further very soon due to losing a big meeting/event...if not, I'm booked at the Bellagio where I can test out their infamous poker room management along with their new 1/2 NL game).

studentofpoker
72offsuit

Postby studentofpoker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:43 am

So the 2-5 game at the Bellagio is usually the same? You just have to find the right table? That's good info. The B is growing on me. If I do play 2-5 at the Venetian, would a $500 buy-in put me at a disadvantage? I know that the max is a $1000, but will I be able to make the usual moves against guys with stacks above a $1000. And how is the 2-5 at the Venetian during the day? Any other suggestions for other rooms would be appreciated to. How has the action been at MGM? I've actually never played NL at the MGM. I use to play 2-4 limit there when I was 19. Amazing how much can change in 3 years.

general
Ace-high

Postby general » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:53 am

studentofpoker wrote:So the 2-5 game at the Bellagio is usually the same? You just have to find the right table? That's good info. The B is growing on me. If I do play 2-5 at the Venetian, would a $500 buy-in put me at a disadvantage? I know that the max is a $1000, but will I be able to make the usual moves against guys with stacks above a $1000. And how is the 2-5 at the Venetian during the day? Any other suggestions for other rooms would be appreciated to. How has the action been at MGM? I've actually never played NL at the MGM. I use to play 2-4 limit there when I was 19. Amazing how much can change in 3 years.

I always play the MGM 2-5 when in town. I love the location and everything about the room including the racetrack!! The games tend to play quite soft (compared to the UK at least) with a even mix and provide good action IMO. I have always had better results at the MGM 2-5 compared with Bellagio and Ceasars 2-5 games.

I shall probably be there Friday after I bust of the Deep Stack......
<stay away from the craps tables>

mauihaole
Binion's Poker Dealer

Postby mauihaole » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:01 pm

The Venetian's action should be really good right now because of the Deep Stacks. When I was playing cash games during their last DSE in November, the games were a lot softer both at 1-2 and 2-5.

Return to Las Vegas Trip Planning