Yappy Dave's Poker/Sports Blog

Retired and Preserved Threads

Yappy Dave
Royal Flush

Yappy Dave's Poker/Sports Blog

Postby Yappy Dave » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Welcome to the Yappy Dave Poker blog. This will be a day-to-day account of what it is like to be a professional poker player. While I do not care too much for that title of professional, it is what I do for a living and it is what pays the bills. With that being said, I hope to bring you an idea of what it is like to do this for a living day in and day out. Many of you are coming over from the 10k Challenge Thread, which was somewhat of a preview to what this will be. It is my hope to have great interaction about poker, life, and other things that go on in my life and how they relate to the rest of the world. One difference from the 10k Challenge thread, is that I will not be posting most cash game results. I might post a few of them, but those numbers will mostly be kept private.
Last edited by Yappy Dave on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="Clem2754"]I guess I will owe you some money[/quote]

grrouchie
AVP Blogger

Postby grrouchie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Good luck in the future.

I currently aspire to be in your shoes and play poker for a living.

I am hoping that by the time next years WSOP rolls around I will be.

I'll be following your progress in the Orleans Open this year.

Santa Fe Rail
Full House

Postby Santa Fe Rail » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Yappy, of course best to you in your encounters. unlike grrouchie i am NOT looking to follow in his aspirations. i am VERY VERY HAPPY with 2 college daughters,divorced 2X,crossing middle america with its important products,bnsf rail,2-5 las vegas trips a year. hope to see and play with you again somewhere in the sept 24-27 window. sir good luck.

LasVegasMichael
Vegas Guru

Postby LasVegasMichael » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:47 am

Great to wake up to this thread.

Glad to see that you have decided to make a go at it in the long term. The Challence is AVP Hall of Fame quality, and once we have enough threads to warrant that forum, it will certainly be moved there.

Of course, we understand the need to keep the specific financials private. The window into a low limit grinder's life is much more then just numbers, and the 10K Challenge thread proved that. It is insight, play analysis, life throughts, etc that make poker blogs inherently interesting, and we are proud to be hosting yours here at AVP.

Good luck in your tourney schedule this weekend, and see you at the tables again soon.

lesvegas
Trips

Postby lesvegas » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:37 am

Thanks Yappy Dave for all your thoughts and insight into the life of a pro. We all see the guys on tv playing for millions, seemingly living the high life, usually at the expense of sponsors. I would love to hear more about the mindset of a "grinder" as Michael calls you.

For instance, after being up a few thousand on your quest for main event entry, did you ever think about changing direction and using the money for something else? When you sit down in the TI poker room, is it still a fun and exciting environment like it is for the tourists, or is it just work? Do you still get the butterflies in your stomach at the start of a poker session? If you have a big expense at home, does it change the way you play?

To a lot of us, we probably dream of doing what you do, which is why your main event quest thread was so popular, and this blog will be too, its a way for us wannabes to get a taste of the life, so we can all live the dream through you.

Thanks again Dave, I look forward to reading your story.

Silent Bod
Trips

Postby Silent Bod » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:35 pm

/exec program "hijack-thread"

Just kidding. I'm glad to see Yappy getting the credit he is due. Too long has his dedication, integrity, and reasonable decision making as they relate to the goals he sets, been dimmed by his surroundings, the naivity of his elders, and the ignorance of his peers (including me from time to time). Since Yappy's exodus of sorts to Nevada, he has surely found at least some partial satisfaction to the goals he once set. He has been accepted to UNLV to pursue his masters in wind conducting, while in the mean time being able to play in arguably the most talented collegiate wind ensemble in the country. These are no small feats, and he knows it, but is hesitant to communicate just how hard they are. And on the poker side of things, he has studied his craft arduosly and patiently in order to create the most favorable of circumstances in which to thrive. And he has done as much, and continues to do so. The "national" recognition he currently is attracting is well-deserved. Cheers to you Dave.

Yappy Dave
Royal Flush

Postby Yappy Dave » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Back to the task at hand!

Due to a really long night on Thursday night (ending at about 6:30 AM) I didn't wake up Friday until 4 pm. This lead me to not getting to bed last night until 5:30 AM, thus leaving me in no condition to play in the Orleans tourney today. I'll be back at the cash games tomorrow.

My first roommate in Las Vegas, now living in L.A., is staying with me to film the final days of the Main Event. Ironic that he films poker and I play it. I had to clean the apartment up from the past two weeks of guests. It is now more clean than it has ever been, so I feel good about today's accomplishments.

My parents brought some of Cracker Barrel's sour dough bread loaves with them when they visited last week. This midwestern boy loves his hearty meals and enjoyed the last of the bread today. Since Nevada law doesn't allow for their interior design (involving a lit fireplace) there are no Cracker Barrels in Nevada. I miss it dearly!

Tonight I will enjoy some late night sushi at The Ka. The Ka is the best sushi bar I know and hosts some very socialable staff. This will be my ex-roomie's first trip to this eatery, thus making me very excited to share this amazing place with him.

Yappy Dave
Royal Flush

Postby Yappy Dave » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:02 am

I got up today and enjoyed some internet time and played Counter-Strike for about an hour. For those who don't know what Counter-Strike (CS) is, it's an online first person shooter than has been one of the top 5 most played online games for the past 7 years. It's just fun!

I got a call from Motorcycle John who informed me that he had just reached the final table of the first Orleans Open event. After a ten-way chop (good move, John) he had a nice little profit. I left to take a key to the temporary live-in friend at the Rio and headed over to TI. It took very few hands (around 5) to pay a guy off after he slowplayed kings preflop. That kinda sucked... Later in the session (after he declared it was his last hand) he made it $16 to go preflop. The funny thing about this, is that he knew he was making it that much before the cards even came off and I knew I was calling regardless of what I was dealt. This man loved to bluff! My K,9 found a KQ9 flop and all the money got in on the turn. The guy flopped the straight with JT... UGH!!! I left the table down about $150 and headed over to play $5 Chinese Poker. After swinging up and down, I got to play against a dealer and I lost EVERY HAND heads up. It was a streak that would baffle mathematicians. I got back into the NL game and got back to even for the day and decided to play in the Graveyard 2 am tourney.

I've only played 6 of these TI tourneys and took down 2 of them. I only play in the graveyard ones when they have between 12-29 players. This range of players allows the game to be played out w/o a glorified bingo game taking place when the money is on the line. 16 players entered and on the first hand I took my KT all in on the river on a KKJ7J board to double up against a guy with a jack (glad I didn't get too excited on the flop.) Two hands later I reraise with AA and get a guy pushing all in with 55. He flopped a 5 and back to 2k I went. 4 Hands later I flopped Qxx with AQ and ran the stack back up to 4k. After a few more hands, I reraised all in with AK and a guy called with QJ. (I'll call him QJ boy from now on.) He hit a Q on the turn and doubled through me. The blinds kept moving and I made it 500 to go (my standard 2.5x raise) with QJ. I got a call from QJ boy. A short stack moved in for 650 and another shorty in for 1k total. I make the call and so does QJ boy. After 5 cards on the board, I held the nut straight and bet 1k on the river (half my stack) and QJ boy called and mucked. This was a big hand as it pumped me up to over 8k. A few resteals later and we went on break with me sitting at 10k.

I get back from break and I only have 8k. During the color-up, something went wrong. I stopped the tournament to rework what had happened. Eventually the security cameras get to be put to use (for once) and after 20 minutes, I am awarded my 2k in chips. When all the chips were added up, the right number had totaled, so it is my guess than somebody stole/took/whatever 2k of my chips and nobody saw it. Good thing for the cameras! I decided to play less aggressive this time once at the final table and after 6 levels, I still had 10k. There were 3 of us left and QJ boy had 42k and the other guy had just 8k. QJ was just terrible and I knew it was only a matter of time before I busted him. Sure enough, with my 10k shoved in the middle preflop (blinds at 1k/2k) QJ boy called with J8, which was behind my K,3!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! My hand held up and doubled me with some breathing room. The other short-stack (also very wise with our QJ boy pushed with K8 and got INSTACALLED by QJ boy who had none other than.... QJ!!! Suddenly we had a match. After some more steals, I had 20k (avg. stack) and pushed all in with TT. QJ boy called with A3 after citing he was hungry and tired. My tens held, leaving him with only 2k. On the next hand he completed the BB and turned over A6 which dominated my 2,4. Then the flop came A,3,5. Poof! The next hand, (first of heads up) I moved all in with AQ and got instacalled by Q8 suited. He flopped a flush draw, turned a gutterball, and whiffed the river and I won my 3rd graveyard tourney. That felt pretty good!

I ate dinner at TI's The Coffee Shop and headed home. It is actually so late that I'm about to make to stock purchases, as the market has been open for about 1/2 hour. I hope that works out well!

LasVegasMichael
Vegas Guru

Postby LasVegasMichael » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:17 am

Great reading.

We must have just missed each other at TI.

In in the last five days, I have played there morning, noon, and night, usually long sesssions.

The last session went from about 4PM Saturday to about noon Sunday with a two hour break in there for dunner at Social House and a quick jaunt home to drop off the wife.

Played alongside the other Dave and his wife for a while, but nothing too eventful. The same night that you and I did the all nighter, I busted Dave while you were playing Chinese.

We were going to call you to tell you to come down, but it was like 2AM saturday nught, so we decided to leave you alone in case you were playing at the Orleans.

All the money went in when I had AA, he had AK, and the case Ace was on the flop.

In the last four days I have played about 35 hours at TI, so I may take a break for a couple days.

LasVegasMichael
Vegas Guru

Postby LasVegasMichael » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 am

I read through your most recent post for thoroughly this time. That issue at the TI tourney sounds rather odd. 2K missing from your stack?

One of the things I do is to always place my card capper on top of my chip stacks, but even them you are open to possible steals. In such a small room, that does surprise me. Congrats on winning the tourney! I have yet to play it due to structure, but one of these days I will.

Yesterday at TI in the morning, you missed something of legend.

At table 1, in the 3 seat was a calling station of legend. It was incredible, and a very rare discovery. In fact, I was going to leave at 7AM, but because he sat down, I opted to stay for another few hours because I KNEW that at some point he could double me up.

It happened around 10AM or so. His stack was getting huge as people were trying to bluff him and letting him catch up with hands like J3, 810, and others where he goes runner runner boat or trips on the river. I won a 1.2K pot when my nut flush was up against his J high flush. About an hour and a half later he ad rebought for the full amount, and was down to about $300, and I regretfully left at noon. I did not want to leave while he was still at the table, but after playing all night and day, I was simply not playing a good game anymore.

I almost called you to tell you about him, but it looked like he might not rebuy a second time, so I opted to leave you be. Plus, I wasn't sure if your were playing the tourney at Orleans or not.

See you soon.

Next

Return to Archives