Riviera Poker Room

Share stories about the Las Vegas poker scene...the world's capital of poker.

robvegaspoker
Full House

Re: Riviera Poker Room

Postby robvegaspoker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:12 pm

AlaskaGal wrote:Watch for jackpot $'s to be distributed as required by Nevada law.

I was thinking about that....but if the room is actually closed now, how do they distribute the money. Don't they have to distribute to poker players?
Tales of poker and Vegas are at http://robvegaspoker.blogspot.com/
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/Robvegaspoker

Local Rock
Royal Flush

Postby Local Rock » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Good point on the JP$. Especially since they were vacuuming off two for the "promotional" (*ahem*cough-cough*) drop.

And that worked out sooooo well.
Life is six to five against.
-Damon Runyon

sevencard2003
Royal Flush

Postby sevencard2003 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:28 pm

so where and when are they going to distribute the jackpot money?

Pokeraddict
Ace-high

Postby Pokeraddict » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:21 pm

I didn't think about the jackpot money. I do not think there is a rule about it going out of the poker room though, is there? Can't they use it for a slot tournament or hot seat giveaway?

Was this the death of $2+ jackpot drops or are there any more?

Local Rock
Royal Flush

Postby Local Rock » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Pokeraddict wrote:I didn't think about the jackpot money. I do not think there is a rule about it going out of the poker room though, is there?
Yes, there is.
Pokeraddict wrote:Can't they use it for a slot tournament or hot seat giveaway?
No, they cannot. Unless they'd enjoy a cordial invitation to have Gaming come crawling up their assets. Though I'd personally prefer that they put it in a pile, set fire to it, and invite random slot degens and whatnot to roast weenies over it rather than what they were doing when they were supposedly "open."

Pokeraddict wrote:Was this the death of $2+ jackpot drops or are there any more?
Unfortunately, not quite dead. The Cantor room at Palms remains 3+2, as it was for a little while shortly before they shut down and reopened in the book under Cantor. As as I look over my shoulder at this moment it looks like their business this evening is comprised of: one very short-handed 2/4 limit game, a single table tournament of some sort, and a skeetload of rather nice looking empty tables and chairs.
-Damon Runyon

Lrgetrout
72offsuit

Postby Lrgetrout » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Pokeraddict wrote:Was this the death of $2+ jackpot drops or are there any more?

Luxor looks to be $4+2 from the information pages also (for pots over $40). That is, of course, dependent on the information being correct.

TheGameKat
Full House

Postby TheGameKat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Just a reminder that this closure means several hard-working people are now unemployed. Some of the crowing here is a little ugly. And an opinion: given the miserable way the Riv has been run it's a tribute to those working in the poker room that it stayed open so long.
Kat's Monthly Poker Column: http://www.blindstraddle.com/category/kat-martin/
Twitter: @TheGameKat

robvegaspoker
Full House

Postby robvegaspoker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 pm

TheGameKat wrote:Just a reminder that this closure means several hard-working people are now unemployed. Some of the crowing here is a little ugly. And an opinion: given the miserable way the Riv has been run it's a tribute to those working in the poker room that it stayed open so long.

Right you are, Kat. No matter what, I always feel bad when a poker room closes for this very reason. I really didn't know any of the dealers but the few times I played in this room they were always good at their jobs, and friendly.

I did know Mark (the manager) a bit and he's a great guy. I hope he lands on his feet. Actually, I hope all who lost their jobs land on their feet.
Tales of poker and Vegas are at http://robvegaspoker.blogspot.com/
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/Robvegaspoker

Local Rock
Royal Flush

Postby Local Rock » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 am

No.

The demise of this "poker room" was well earned. Some of the efforts to drag out the long overdue closure were unsavory where not simply incompetent, and it would not be good to pretend otherwise and encourage repetition of same. If there has ever been a Las Vegas poker room in the last decade that needed to close or be closed, this was it in spades. It is a good thing for poker, poker players, people who work in poker, and for the general Las Vegas hospitality industry that it was finally done at last. It is bad for all when places that fail to serve their purpose and even become destructive of it linger on, whether those most directly connected to them are able to understand that or not. They may later, in the fullness of time. This closure will result in other fine hard working people in better places who are every bit as meritorious having work. Good dealers and others from this room will be temporarily uncomfortable but will most likely end up with better positions and become better off for it; and as with other (less obviously needed) closures that have occurred there will be a few who will not, and they will benefit from (though perhaps not always enjoy) finding a more suitable occupation.

This is not the first time (or even the second or third) this consideration has come up on this board in connection with the closing of an unsuccessful room, not by a long shot - not uncommonly accompanied by some version of "how can you be so thoughtless and mean" though I don't recall any instance where it was so clearly needed and badly overdue. AVP is in no danger whatsoever of being insufficiently deferential to those who are employed by the industry it reviews and discusses and provides public information about. If we ever became obliged to pay obeisance to mandatory vapid drivel about how every establishment is good and each closure is so terribly sad (especially when it has been so painfully obvious to so many for so long that it isn't) the site would then become a useless irrelevancy for everyone's interests. I trust that isn't where we're at.

Mourn this tardy validation of the obvious if you wish; I and many others will not.
-Damon Runyon

psand
Royal Flush

Postby psand » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:52 am

Local Rock wrote:No.

The demise of this "poker room" was well earned. Some of the efforts to drag out the long overdue closure were unsavory where not simply incompetent, and it would not be good to pretend otherwise and encourage repetition of same. If there has ever been a Las Vegas poker room in the last decade that needed to close or be closed, this was it in spades. It is a good thing for poker, poker players, people who work in poker, and for the general Las Vegas hospitality industry that it was finally done at last. It is bad for all when places that fail to serve their purpose and even become destructive of it linger on, whether those most directly connected to them are able to understand that or not. They may later, in the fullness of time. This closure will result in other fine hard working people in better places who are every bit as meritorious having work. Good dealers and others from this room will be temporarily uncomfortable but will most likely end up with better positions and become better off for it; and as with other (less obviously needed) closures that have occurred there will be a few who will not, and they will benefit from (though perhaps not always enjoy) finding a more suitable occupation.

This is not the first time (or even the second or third) this consideration has come up on this board in connection with the closing of an unsuccessful room, not by a long shot - not uncommonly accompanied by some version of "how can you be so thoughtless and mean" though I don't recall any instance where it was so clearly needed and badly overdue. AVP is in no danger whatsoever of being insufficiently deferential to those who are employed by the industry it reviews and discusses and provides public information about. If we ever became obliged to pay obeisance to mandatory vapid drivel about how every establishment is good and each closure is so terribly sad (especially when it has been so painfully obvious to so many for so long that it isn't) the site would then become a useless irrelevancy for everyone's interests. I trust that isn't where we're at.

Mourn this tardy validation of the obvious if you wish; I and many others will not.

One can feel that the closure was warranted .... and still feel sympathy for those who lost their jobs (at least for those who were not making the decisions which you feel made the closings warranted)

(as for the jackpot money ..... its not entirely clear to me that the money can not be distributed outside of the poker room. The relevant regulation refers to similar games and its not clear whether gaming might be willing to treat some table game progressive pools as similar games. In addition the regulation includes language which allows the NGC to authorize dispositions of the jackpot funds outside of the terms of the regulation.)
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -- George Orwell

PreviousNext

Return to Las Vegas Poker